KOMET

KOMET

Gabriela, Cravo e Canela
Jorge Amado
Progress: 157/358 pages
Seven Pillars of Wisdom: A Triumph (The Authorized Doubleday/Doran Edition)
T.E. Lawrence
John F Williams
Progress: 22/238 pages

IT'S ABOUT "US"

US - David           Nicholls

I finished reading this novel a short time ago (it's 7:09 PM EST as I write here) and found it a satisfying, sobering, and salutary experience. Normally, I eschew contemporary novels. But as this one was penned by David Nicholls, whose previous novel --- "ONE DAY" --- I ABSOLUTELY LOVED, I was open to reading "Us" as soon as it became available in the market.

The novel is largely told by Douglas Petersen, a middle-aged Englishman leading what to him is a comfortable, ordered life in the countryside with his wife Connie and their son Albie, who will be going off to university in the fall. Faced with the looming prospect of being "empty nesters", Douglas' sense of self and solidity is rocked to their roots by his wife's admission one night that she wants out of their marriage. Douglas is at a total loss. His reply: "I was looking forward to us growing old together. Me and you, growing old and dying together." But Connie's perspective on marriage is not as absolute. "Douglas, who in their right mind would look forward to that?"

Prior to Connie's disclosure, Douglas had planned for the family what he hoped would be a fun and rewarding family summer holiday in Europe. The Grand Tour, the last that he, Connie, and Albie would likely share together. He hoped that through this shared experience he and Connie would grow closer together and rediscover what it was that brought both of them together almost 25 years earlier. (With some considerable persuading, Douglas gets Connie and Albie to go along with his plan and the 3 of them set out for Europe, with Paris as the springboard.)

Nicholls is a very clever writer and uses his paragraphs well, introducing through them subtle time shifts throughout the novel that show the beginnings, the progression, and the ups and downs experienced by married couples.

There are some unexpected twists that come up in the novel, which made it deeply compelling at times. Any reader who loves stories about people struggling and persevering against life's slings and arrows will find solace in reading this novel. After all, it is about "US."