KOMET

KOMET

Gabriela, Cravo e Canela
Jorge Amado
Progress: 157/358 pages
Seven Pillars of Wisdom: A Triumph (The Authorized Doubleday/Doran Edition)
T.E. Lawrence
Progress: 198/598 pages
Corporal Hitler and the Great War 1914-1918: The List Regiment
John F Williams
Progress: 22/238 pages
Tears of Autumn - Charles McCarry "THE TEARS OF AUTUMN" is a compelling, well-crafted novel centered on Paul Christopher, a CIA Special Agent who has served in the Agency since the 1950s. When the story begins, it is October 1963 and Christopher is involved in deep cover work in South Vietnam. Weeks later, in the aftermath of President Kennedy's assassination, Christopher leaves the CIA and, on his own, armed only with his skills, a facility for languages, and a theory as to who killed Kennedy and why, pursues leads from Saigon, to the Congo, and Europe, to bring to light the assassins of the President. This puts Christopher at odds with both the government and the assassins, who would like to see him neutralized.

This book shows Christopher to be a very complex, fascinating, multi-faceted person, one who with a highly developed sense of duty, honor, and ethics. is also open to love. Normally, I tend to avoid novels about CIA spies and operations because they are "Johnny-Come-Latelys" in the spy game and I much prefer reading stories about British, French, Russian and other assorted European spies. But "THE TEARS OF AUTUMN" packs quite a punch and has an assortment of characters not unlike those found in the best works of John le Carré. (When I was a few pages in, I was hooked and could hardly contain myself, so anxious to see how McCarry would spin this tale. TERRIFIC STUFF.)