KOMET

KOMET

Gabriela, Cravo e Canela
Jorge Amado
Progress: 157/358 pages
Seven Pillars of Wisdom: A Triumph (The Authorized Doubleday/Doran Edition)
T.E. Lawrence
Progress: 198/598 pages
Corporal Hitler and the Great War 1914-1918: The List Regiment
John F Williams
Progress: 22/238 pages
Memoirs of Lt. Camillo Viglino: Italian Air Force 1915-1916 - Camilla Hurwitz Meant as a legacy for his children, Camillo Vigilino (who died young in 1935) describes in this book his flight training experiences with the Italian Air Force in 1915-16. The training was in two phases: the First License and the Second License. Flying was rather a perilous business, given the fragility of the aircraft of the period. Indeed, according to Vigilino, "... we flew under the constant threat of engine failure. Engine breakdowns were the order of the day; they happened all the time. Mindful of this, we made sure we were always close to one of the aviation fields in case we had to land quickly."

Notwithstanding that, Vigilino comes to love flying. Unfortunately for him, however, he has a mishap on a flight which limits his military service. The book also contains some prognostications Vigilino made long after the war about future technologies and lifestyle that may interest the reader. On the whole, this was a nice, though somewhat dull, book.