KOMET

KOMET

Gabriela, Cravo e Canela
Jorge Amado
Progress: 157/358 pages
Seven Pillars of Wisdom: A Triumph (The Authorized Doubleday/Doran Edition)
T.E. Lawrence
Progress: 198/598 pages
Corporal Hitler and the Great War 1914-1918: The List Regiment
John F Williams
Progress: 22/238 pages
The Private World of Georgette Heyer - Jane Aiken Hodge I first became aware of Georgette Heyer 7 years ago while browsing in a downtown BORDERS bookstore one leisurely Sunday afternoon. I eyed her novel, [b:Beauvallet|822958|Beauvallet|Georgette Heyer|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1178692196s/822958.jpg|302154], a Mass Market Paperback, read what was on the cover and back page, and, feeling much intrigued about the content, bought the book.

Since that time, I have purchased several more of Heyer's novels. But, voracious, wide-ranging reader that I am, I've yet to read any of them. So, I thought I'd buy this biography to get a better sense of who Georgette Heyer really was.

I learned quite a lot about Heyer's background: Anglo-Russian. She was also the oldest of 3 children and showed an early talent for storytelling. Her father, who, by profession was a teacher of French, and a man of wide-ranging intellectual and sporty pursuits, encouraged her in her writing. Heyer struck me as a woman who had a strong sense of self who came to know her strengths as a writer (with her husband one of her staunchest supporters - they enjoyed a very complementary marriage of almost 50 years) and up til her death, maintained a high standard of writing.

Heyer knew her subject --- the Regency Era --- in a way that few writers today who have followed her path have managed to achieve. This is a very good book which gives the reader access to the real Georgette Heyer who bewailed the depredations of the tax man, and took great pains to keep the public Heyer the popular writer wholly separate from the intensely private Heyer: the devoted wife and mother.