KOMET

KOMET

Gabriela, Cravo e Canela
Jorge Amado
Progress: 157/358 pages
Seven Pillars of Wisdom: A Triumph (The Authorized Doubleday/Doran Edition)
T.E. Lawrence
Progress: 198/598 pages
Corporal Hitler and the Great War 1914-1918: The List Regiment
John F Williams
Progress: 22/238 pages
Riding Into War: The Memoir of a Horse Transport Driver, 1916-1919 - James Robert Johnston James Robert Johnston, a First World War veteran from New Brunswick, Canada, made a trip during the summer of 1964 to the part of the Western Front where he had seen extensive service as a horse driver in a transport unit of the Canadian Machine Gun Corps in 1917 and 1918. It was his first trip back to Europe in almost 50 years. Johnston was so deeply affected by the experience that he resolved to put down on paper his memories of his wartime service.

This book is full of photos and maps which allow the reader to follow the narrative without any difficulty. The writing style is clear and concise. Any reader will quickly find him/herself a part of Johnston's story from the time he left the family farm to join the army in April 1916 (aged 18) to the time he returned to Canada in June 1919. In his words, "... the one thing that surprised me was in the difference of the younger folks. They seemed to have aged so much more than the older people. I believe I came home as well physically as when I went away, but my nerves were not too good and I remember a lot of nights I would get up and when no one else was around have to go for a long walk. After some time this seemed to wear off and soon I was back to a new life again."