KOMET

KOMET

Gabriela, Cravo e Canela
Jorge Amado
Progress: 157/358 pages
Seven Pillars of Wisdom: A Triumph (The Authorized Doubleday/Doran Edition)
T.E. Lawrence
Progress: 198/598 pages
Corporal Hitler and the Great War 1914-1918: The List Regiment
John F Williams
Progress: 22/238 pages
Dropped Names: Famous Men and Women As I Knew Them - Frank Langella It was AN UTTER DELIGHT to read this book. It lived fully up to its billing as advertised recently in USA Today. With clarity, insight, and an unflinching truthfulness and candor, Langella provides the reader with penetrating and well-crafted vignettes throughout his 50-year acting career of the many notable people of the last half of the 20th century (e.g. President Kennedy, Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, Rita Hayworth, James Mason, George C. Scott, Robert Mitchum, Paul Newman, the Queen Mother, Richard Burton & Elizabeth Taylor) with whom he worked on stage and screen or met during various periods of his life.

In reading this book, I was able to get glimpses of what some of my favorite stars and people in the public eye I grew up admiring were really like. Their anxieties, fears, foibles, passions, and loves. I was saddened to see that George C. Scott felt himself, despite his love and talent for acting, to be a fraud. In a conversation with the author, he admitted that had acting not been open to him, he would have been a writer. "But I can't write."

Langella proves here to be a deft writer, as well as a keen observer of people.