KOMET

KOMET

Gabriela, Cravo e Canela
Jorge Amado
Progress: 157/358 pages
Seven Pillars of Wisdom: A Triumph (The Authorized Doubleday/Doran Edition)
T.E. Lawrence
Progress: 198/598 pages
Corporal Hitler and the Great War 1914-1918: The List Regiment
John F Williams
Progress: 22/238 pages
Sharks Of The Air: Willy Messerschmitt And The Development Of History's First Operational Jet Fighter - James Neal Harvey I couldn't wait to finish reading this book!

For someone who is a skilled pilot with a broad knowledge of aviation matters, the author would have done better to narrow his focus to describing more extensively the development and subsequent deployment of the ME-262 in combat. (The history of Messerschmitt AG - Willy Messerschmitt's company -- could have buttressed the book as background from which the ME-262 emerged.) Instead, the author showed a tendency to ramble on about events in the Second World War which had absolutely no relevance to Willy Messerschmitt and the ME-262. The author also showed a lack of knowledge of the German language. Any first-year student of the language knows that nouns in German are always capitalized and supporting adjectives reflect the gender and number of the noun it modifies. (Case in point: "Verdammt Amerikaner" on p. 341 should have been written as "verdammter Amerikaner.")

When I first learned about this book a couple of months ago, I couldn't wait to buy it because I have been fascinated by the ME-262 since I had assembled a model of the night fighter variant when I was in my early teens back in the late 1970s. But in reading this book, I felt that I didn't learn much about the ME-262 and Willy Messerschmitt's company beyond perhaps some additional information surrounding Willy Messerschmitt's personal history.

The book could have been pared down by at least 50 pages and centered exclusively on Willy Messerschmitt's contributions in the area of jet aircraft development for military use (with some comparisons made to contemporaneous work in this advanced technology by other aviation companies in Germany, Britain, and America) during the Second World War.