KOMET

KOMET

Gabriela, Cravo e Canela
Jorge Amado
Progress: 157/358 pages
Seven Pillars of Wisdom: A Triumph (The Authorized Doubleday/Doran Edition)
T.E. Lawrence
Progress: 198/598 pages
Corporal Hitler and the Great War 1914-1918: The List Regiment
John F Williams
Progress: 22/238 pages
The Stranger From The Sea - Winston Graham I thoroughly enjoyed reading this novel. I had had some recollections of the PBS Poldark Series when it was on TV back in the 1970s. But beyond that, I did not know anything else about Ross Poldark and his family. That is, until I read this novel, the first of the series for me.

In this novel, Winston Graham provides rich character sketches of Clowance and Jeremy, two of the Poldark children. Clowance is a free-spirited, sensitive, yet sober-minded kind of young lady. You see her becoming acquainted with a young man who was fished out of the sea, and are witness to her growing attraction to him. He (Stephen Carrington) is an adventurer, a dreamer, a striver, a charmer, and a gambler. Yet, he has a good heart. A big heart. I don't think it at all strange or odd that a young woman should be attracted to a man who is a bit rough round the edges as Stephen is. The reader may consider Stephen Carrington as a force of nature in terms of his personality and spirit.

Jeremy's story is especially touching. He and his father have a somewhat uneasy and distant relationship, which by turns, begins to become closer. And there is also Jeremy's growing love for Cuby Trevanion.

"The Stranger from the Sea" was a delightful story. In addition to Ross and Demelza, you begin to see in this novel how the lives of their children are shaping themselves. I liked that. And the author's descriptions of Cornwall are so evocative. You can almost feel the salt of the ocean on your skin and clothes as it pounds against the beach, or feel the touch of a rising breeze sweeping across the hills, signaling the approach of an autumn storm.