KOMET

KOMET

Gabriela, Cravo e Canela
Jorge Amado
Progress: 157/358 pages
Seven Pillars of Wisdom: A Triumph (The Authorized Doubleday/Doran Edition)
T.E. Lawrence
John F Williams
Progress: 22/238 pages

AN UNEXPECTED & WELCOME CHRISTMAS GIFT

My Lost Cuba - Celso Gonzalez-Falla

A few days ago, I received this book in the mail -- a first novel --- from the author.   He explained to me that I was a winner in a book giveaway contest I had entered weeks ago.   Woo-hoo!  What a thrill!

The novel is set in the Cuba of the 1950s. To be precise, it is "1958, the last year of Fulgencio Batista's dictatorship. Mike, the son of Don Miguel, a wealthy land owner and rancher, is summoned home from his MBA studies in the United States because of his father's failing health. Still recovering from the loss of his wife, Mike's return is an immediate tonic for Don Miguel. Caught between his family obligations and his desire to pursue his own dreams, Mike quickly finds himself succumbing to his father's desire for him to take over the responsibilities of running the family ranch.

"As Mike settles back into the life he was groomed for, Don Miguel, reinvigorated, spends more and more time socializing in Havana. Changes are happening everywhere. The government is encroaching on civil liberties and social and political upheaval is in the air. There are rumblings about Fidel Castro's guerillas organizing in the mountains. On the ranch, long-time employees of Don Miguel resent the changes that Mike is making, setting the stage for a confrontation that will change the lives of everyone involved.

"With evocative language, vibrant characters, and explosive history My Lost Cuba pulls us into a fascinating time and place-. It is a memorable family saga, love story and political tale."

The author himself grew up in Cuba during those turbulent times and later became a political exile in the United States in 1961.

Muchas gracias por el libro.