KOMET

KOMET

Gabriela, Cravo e Canela
Jorge Amado
Progress: 157/358 pages
Seven Pillars of Wisdom: A Triumph (The Authorized Doubleday/Doran Edition)
T.E. Lawrence
John F Williams
Progress: 22/238 pages

THE DARK SIDE OF LOVE

Obsessive Love: When It Hurts Too Much to Let Go - Susan Forward;Craig Buck

Near New Year’s Eve 1998, I chanced upon this book in a downtown bookstore.    The title caught my eye.   I picked up the book, scanned a few pages, and bought it.

This book is replete with case studies of men and women who have found it painfully hard --- almost impossible --- to come to terms with the ending of what was for them a close, loving, comforting relationship.   Under normal conditions, for any of us who have either suffered from unrequited love or the close of a relationship, there is a mechanism in each of us that eventually allows us to come to terms with a fait accompli, find our balance, heal, and get on with life.   But in reading this book, one cannot help but commiserate with the struggles many of the people in these case studies have had on account of obsessive love.    Several of them admit to waiting outside the door of a former sweetheart at odd hours of the day and night, experiencing loss of appetite, displaying suicidal or homicidal tendencies, making spectacles of themselves in futile efforts to gain the attention of the ex-beau (or belle).

REJECTION HURTS LIKE HELL.   The chief value in reading “OBSESSIVE LOVE: When It Hurts Too Much to Let Go” is as an object lesson to any of us who may find ourselves in future challenged when faced with the ending of what had seemingly been a sure, secure and loving relationship.